Loading ...

Issues with use of microsoft online editing feature | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Report Bugs and Issues » Issues with use of microsoft online editing feature
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Edit navigation item

Required The name that will appear in the space navigation.
Required
Required
Required The url can point to an internal or external web page.

Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Report Bugs and Issues

Issues with use of microsoft online editing feature

Subscribe to RSS
  • mia.cusack

Can I please have some more information on the function for editing MS documents online works. I have just been editing an excel document online (and I  checked it out first). However at one point it froze for a long period – see screenshot attached. I had to just close the tab and then when opening again my work was lost. Then after some time, and reopening some of my work appeared, but not all. Can you please clarify:

1. How does the checkout/check-in function work – is it separate to the edit online function and is it required that documents are downloaded and edited offline for this to work?
    2. When editing online can others edit the file simultaneously? How can we ensure that work is being saved as there is no save button (it says it is being done automatically – however this is not the case in my experience)
    3. Is there a way to recover work when using the edit online function?

@PhoebeMack

• gskamau

Hi Mia,

1. When you check out a file and edit it in Office Online, you are the only person who can edit the file. Once you close the tab, the file will be checked in and updated. You don't need to download the file.

2. Yes, users can edit files simultaneously. To do this, edit the file in Office Online without checking it out first. Make sure users have the Update All permission in Manage Space > Permissions > Folder Permissions .

Regarding the "Working on it..." message you saw, were you editing a Sharepoint Excel file?

3. Try checking the file's version history, either in Communifire or in Sharepoint, to see if a previous version has the changes you made.

Grace

• pmack

Thanks Grace,  Mia Cusack posted on my behalf. Regarding the error "working on it" yes this was while working on a excel file via the online option. When checking previous versions the data was lost unfortunately. When I closed the tab (after it froze as the only way to get out of it), when I went back in it still said I had it checked out. Then to check back in it was requesting me to upload a file hence confusion about downloading. 

• gskamau
    Answered

Hi Phoebe,

Do you experience the same issue if you open and edit the Excel file from Sharepoint?

If the file is checked out and you haven't made any changes, you can click Undo Check Out.

Grace

• mia.cusack

Hi Grace, I have been testing out the online editing function also and finding it is still having many issues.

In my case, I am trying to update an excel spreadsheet online but am getting many error notifications, see the screenshot attached. Can you please look into this or let me know if there a specific sequence to follow in order to edit that may resolve? Thanks very much.

Mia

• gskamau

Hi Mia,

These error messages are likely appearing because the file uses Excel features that aren't supported by Office Online. Please refer to this article to learn more about the errors. You may need to check out the file, download it, edit it in the Excel desktop app, and check it in again to update the file in Communifire.

Grace

• mia.cusack

Hi Grace, thanks for the article, useful reading. I wonder if this bears further investigation as I also saw this article which indicates the file types support by online editor (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/differences-between-using-a-workbook-in-the-browser-and-in-excel-f0dc28ed-b85d-4e1d-be6d-5878005db3b6) and we use .xlsx - which should be supported, and they are not fancy spreadsheets, very basic, so wonder if there can be some further troublshooting or guidance to fix this issue. Much appreciated. 

• gskamau
    Answered

Hi Mia,

Could you open a private case and share a couple of the Excel files you're experiencing this issue with? We can take a look at the files and try troubleshooting further.

Grace

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)