Loading ...

Accepted .ics event invitations have incorrect start time | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Report Bugs and Issues » Accepted .ics event invitations have incorrect start time
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Edit navigation item

Required The name that will appear in the space navigation.
Required
Required
Required The url can point to an internal or external web page.

Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Report Bugs and Issues

Accepted .ics event invitations have incorrect start time

Subscribe to RSS
  • Hello, today I was notified that many of our employees who have accepted or received an event invitation from Communifire about an upcoming scheduled meeting are seeing an incorrect start date for the meeting start time. The actual meeting start time is set for 9:30am (EST), but it is showing as 8:30am (EST) in their Outlook and mobile mail calendars. I suspect there may be a problem with the .ics files that are sent out?

Our company is located in the US, on the the East Coast.
    The server and all employees are setup to use Eastern Standard Time. 
    I have verified that our server is correctly synced with our NTP servers and that time appears correct. 

The settings in the communifire software also appear to be correct. 

Here is some information and the example that caused us to notice this issue.

Event Invitation E-mail

The event invitation looks okay when it is received by e-mail (all of the dates appear to reference the correct time of the meeting (9:30am - 10:30am):

and when the attached .ics / ical file is opened: 

Problem is noticed

In Outlook however, when using the Monthly view it allows you to see meeting invitations that you have received, but not yet accepted or declined. This is where I first noticed the issue myself. Our same meeting invitation is showing up as for 8:30am instead of 9:30am.

When you open the above meeting however, it is the exact same meeting invitation as the one that was first opened. Accepting this meeting accepts the meeting from the .ics file at the time shown, which is incorrect in our calendars. I have also verified that the timezone for my workstation and Outlook configuration is set correctly.

I have also noticed that it shows up the same way for iPhones that receive the meeting invitation. This leads me to think that it must be a problem with the configuration within the .ics file itself or how it is generated. 

I compared two .ics files that I received recently. One from Communifire, and one from someone sending me a meeting request which I extracted an .ics file from and the only thing that makes sense to me is that there is a discrepancy with how the time zones are being interpreted. 

I have to go put out some other fires, so I can't dig into this any longer - but here is a link that I think might help to describe the issue we are seeing, and maybe even a possible solution to the problem.

I will attach a cleaned up copy of one of our .ics files with all of the sensitive information removed. 

I saw that there are several other tickets / questions detailing similar issues to this - so I do hope you can help figure this out. 

Thank you,

Jeff 

Attachments
  • Hi Jeff,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will go ahead and do some testing on this issue and get back to you soon.

Thanks,
    Foster

• Jeff - We have a very similar issue. Did you ever get any solutions?

Randy
    CF version 7.0.7504.11458

• Hi Randy and Jeff,

We've reported this issue to our development team and they are looking into a fix. We'll let you know when a fix becomes available.

Grace

• Hi Randy and Jeff,

This issue has been fixed in version 8.0. The fix will be available for on-premise clients towards the end of the month.

Grace

• We are experiencing this same issue and we are on version 8.0.....

• Hi Jania,

There's currently a bug with event ICS files opened in Outlook. Our development team is looking into a fix. We'll let you know when the fix is available.

Grace

• We are experiencing the same issue. From an Event when we download ICS and open in Outlook (windows) the event is off by an hour (later). I've checked our settings and the time zone is correct. 

Is there an ETA on when this may be fixed?

Thanks!

• Hi Sharon,

This is fixed in our latest version, which will be available for cloud-hosted sites either this weekend or in the coming month.

Since you're on-premise, you can open a case to schedule an update.

Grace

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)