Loading ...

Inline previewing available for files | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Features and Functionality » Inline previewing available for files
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Edit navigation item

Required The name that will appear in the space navigation.
Required
Required
Required The url can point to an internal or external web page.

Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Features and Functionality

Inline previewing available for files

Subscribe to RSS
  • Currently we have to download a file in order for it to be viewed.  Is there a setting that we can change to allow users to be able preview it inline or is this something that may be a future feature of the platform?

• Hi Tobi,

Files uploaded to the Files section of a space can be previewed in the browser. Some of the supported file types are PDF files, Word files, PowerPoint files, Excel files, images, and videos.

Do you not see the file preview in the Files section? Could you go to Control Panel > System > General Settings > Advanced Settings and check whether the "Enable File Viewer" setting is enabled?

Grace

• Hi Grace,

I confirmed the settings and that I could preview the documents from files.  Perhaps I wasn't clear in my case - the ability to preview and not be forced to download is more related to Attachments within articles and wikis, etc.  Those would have to downloaded first before they are previewed?

Tobi

• Answered

Hi Tobi,

You can embed attached files in the article or wiki to allow previewing without downloading. It requires editing the source code of the content. Please follow the steps below.

1. Add or edit the content.
    2. In the attachments section, right-click the attachment name then click Copy Link Address. Save the link for later.
    3. In the rich editor toolbar click the <> Code Editor button. The source code will open.
    4. Find the area where you want to embed the file, and add a new line.
    5. Paste the following code:
      <p><iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="URL"></iframe></p>
    6. In that code, replace URL with the attachment link you copied.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Save the content.

The embedded file will look something like this:

Let us know if you need any help doing this.

Grace

• Thanks Grace. This is most helpful. 

You can close this.

Tobi

• Hi Tobi,

You can further remove the borders of that iframe by editing the source and adding frameborder="0" to the iframe tag.

iframe width="100%" height="500px" frameborder="0" src="...."

Thanks,
    Raghav

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)