Loading ...

Guest Role - Says for sites open to public only? | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Features and Functionality » Guest Role - Says for sites open to public only?
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Edit navigation item

Required The name that will appear in the space navigation.
Required
Required
Required The url can point to an internal or external web page.

Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Features and Functionality

Guest Role - Says for sites open to public only?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Hello - I just wanted to clarify something, before we start inviting non-patients to our community (doctors, pharma, etc.)

We are listening to the training videos from last year, so we can train new staff to help with our site. Something that comes up under Roles is there used to be "Isolated Member", which was removed. Now there is just Admin, Moderator, Member, Guest (see above). What's a little confusing is:

• It's stated in the video that a new version of the isolated member will be "coming soon" and manipulated through permissions. While we never have seen this, we have several support tickets a few months back, confused about settings for Guest vs Member.
      • The main issue was we couldn't understand why members of the main site couldn't see content inside of public Spaces. We then were told they must first join the public site to see.  Great! Solved. 
      • But then we wondered about Guest, as in the definition above - and in the video - it states we wouldn't use this unless we were hosting a public site (which we aren't). 
        • We were told we could alter permissions for Guests so they could, for example, only view announcements or certain discussions, etc. So this is what we intended to use as the Role for any non-patients (doctors, researchers, pharma, etc.) to limit their site usage and visibility.... however, the instructions say "(guest) does give read access to parts of the platform that you open to the public." So what about Private Spaces?  That's where we intend to use Guests.  Is this verbiage simply outdated?
      • Also, is there any other new feature we missed to limit what a Guest and member and admin and moderator can do and see other than doing it, per Space, in permissions?

Thank you - Tiffany

• Hi Tiffany,

The Guest role you see in Control Panel > People > Roles is for people who aren't logged into the site. This role is only used when your site is open to the public.

The Guest role you see in Manage Space > Roles for a space is for people who aren't members of the space.

The non-patients on your site will have their own accounts and will not be members of spaces, is that correct? If so, you can control what they can see in specific spaces by modifying permissions in each space - modify permissions for the space Guest role. This must be done in each space.

By default, private space content is only visible to the space members. Do you want to let people who aren't in the private space see some of the private space content?

Grace

• Hi Grace -

I've had to go back and rewatch some videos and try to wrap my brain around how to answer and get more guidance. Here's where I'm a little confused:

From your comments: "The Guest role you see in Manage Space > Roles for a space is for people who aren't members of the space.

The non-patients on your site will have their own accounts and will not be members of spaces, is that correct? If so, you can control what they can see in specific spaces by modifying permissions in each space - modify permissions for the space Guest role. This must be done in each space." The answer is no. We always intended for non-patients to have an account and WOULD be members of the Private Space where the project they are associated with lives. Then, once inside that Space, each role (the patient and non-patient) would have different permissions re: what they see and cannot see).  Until today, we always thought that meant they could be set as guests, but from what I am understanding now, there is no way to alter permissions, per group?

The way we have been planning and building this the whole time is:

• Everyone gains access to the top level community as a Member.
    • Then we have a handful of Public Spaces, where everyone can see what is inside. 
    • After this, the site breaks off into Private Spaces.  Some of the site members who are non-patients will be invited to participate in those Spaces as Guests and we will set custom permissions to limit what they can see in do.

So I am concerned and need clarification.  Perhaps using a case example would help to iron this out:

• Say there are 200 people in our site. 40 people are invited to participate in Project X Space. Some are patients and some are non-patients.
    • There's another 55 people (different people, also patients and non-patients) who need access to Project Y Space.
    • The non-patients in Project X Space and Project Y Space will need special permissions so they cannot fully interact, like the members can. (We thought that meant they would be assigned a role of Guest so we could have the next level of permissions). 
    • Both the patients and he non-patients in Project X Space cannot be able to see information in Project Y Space, and vice versa. 

Since we now realize that we cannot simply go to Manage Space - People - and change the member role to Guest, how do you suggest we set these Private Spaces up so that those who access that Space have different levels of permissions?  We certainly cannot open up public parts of confidential projects so every person on the intranet can see inside. 

If we cannot use the private Spaces as truly private, with two levels of permissions (one for patients and one for non-patients) then all the work we have done thus far is for nothing because this platform would not be usable for our needs. Please advise. 

Thank you - Tiffany

• Answered

Hi Tiffany,

For your use case, I would recommend unchecking permissions for the space Member role, creating new space roles for patients and non-patients, then setting permissions for the patient and non-patient roles, to control what each can see.

1. In Manage Space > Permissions, uncheck all permissions for the Member role except for the Space - View permission. We want to clear out most permissions for the Member role because new space members are automatically assigned the Member role. We want the "base" permission level to be "no access to anything."
    2. Then in Manage Space > Roles, create new roles for your different user groups.
    3. Then in Manage Space > Permissions, update permissions for the different user groups.
      For example, let's say you want patients to see and create articles but not non-patients. Then this is how you would set up the permissions:

Anytime a new person joins the space, they will have only the space Member role and no access to anything in the space. A space admin or moderator must then assign the new space member the correct role in Manage Space > People - by clicking Set Role. Once the user has the correct space role, they will have access to the areas that the role is allowed to access.

So instead of using the space Guest role to limit access, you'll use new space roles.

Grace

• Hi Grace -

If there was an option to "love" this answer I would. Thank you!

Tiffany

• Hi Tiffany,

Glad to help!

Grace

• One last question - So, first, we also figured out how to do this at Top Level, in addition to per Space. But the question we have is the same re: of Top Level or Space:

If a person has more than one role, does the role with the most permissions default as what they have access to?  For example, Katie is an admin for Top Level. She also happens to be a patient voice and a Site Guide.  But the patient voice role has less permissions than an Admin. So, by default, does she have all the permissions of an Admin (or whatever the highest level of permissions is)?

Tiffany

• Hi Tiffany,

Yes, that's correct.

Grace

• Hi Grace -

So we followed the directions and went in to add roles, removed permissions for members except to see the space and added the permissions for the patient voice and other roles. But no matter how many times I change TrickyT (our default member account to view for editing changes) to Patient Voice and save, it doesn't save?  I go in to that account, try to view and I basically can't see anything (like the permissions for member).  So I go back to the admin account and see that the Patient Voice role is no longer there, it says member again?

Tiffany

• Hi Tiffany,

I assigned the Patient Voice role to TrickyT and after refreshing the page, the role was still assigned. Could you try updating that user's roles again? Do the roles still get removed for you?

If so, could you share the exact steps you're taking when updating the user's role?

Grace

• Oh, I didn't realize you added that role, I thought the index rebuild did that. Let me go remove it, save, and try to add it back again. 

Tiffany

• Ok, I was able to go there, click Patient Voice, save.  Exited. Went back and it didn't default back to Member only.  Maybe that index rebuild helped?  TrickyT can see everything in the 360 Space. Only outstanding issue I can see is from the other ticket I submitted re: Home Page view of one area still not visible.

Thank you!

Tiffany

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)