Loading ...

Setting user role when inviting them | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Features and Functionality » Setting user role when inviting them
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Features and Functionality

Setting user role when inviting them

Subscribe to RSS
  • Elkfarhane

Hi there, 

When you invite a user you cannot set their role from the control panel so when they join they will join as a regular member. This is a problem for us as we have content and spaces that we would like to keep private. We found a way around this by adding user instead and then setting their role, but can this please be changed so the role can be controlled for invited users as well. Please let me know if there is another, better way to handle this!

Thanks!

• Foster

Hi Elk,

I think with this, your best bet is to user User Space Assignment Rules . This way you can customize what role a user gets based on the email domain they use when they sign in. 

If this does not work for you, please let me know and I will come up with a better solution.

Thanks,
    Foster

• Elkfarhane

Hey Foster, 

I think my explanation wasn't very good, but yes this and setting spaces as private should be enough if only spaces were an issue but we are actually using "roles" to provide a different homepage experience for different users: staff members, consultants, etc. If I were to invite a consultant today they would be able to see the member homepage (it would be a weird disjointed experience because a lot of the content is from private spaces, but not all of it). This isn't a big deal and we've been adding users and telling them to use the forgot password prompts to create new passwords, but this is not ideal esp with some of the groups that we would be hosting on our intranet.

• Elkfarhane
    Answered

Actually I realized that this isn't a problem if you do a bulk import so never mind! I'm totally happy with this even though they are still being added and not invited.

• Foster

Hi Elk,

That was going to be my next suggestion, I'm happy you found it!

Best,
    Foster

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)