Loading ...

Sharing content in a private space | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Features and Functionality » Sharing content in a private space
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Features and Functionality

Sharing content in a private space

Subscribe to RSS
  • Xenon

I have a private space that stores a file that I want to share with others who are not a part of that space. On the back end, I've made sure that Members and Guests can view and download files, but when I have that file on a public space, they are not able to view it.

Is there way to share these files from my private space?

• gskamau

Hey Xeng,

Check the File > View All permission - this will allow the users to see files you uploaded. Also check the Space > View permission.

Grace

• Xenon

Awesome! That did it! Thanks for your help.

• Xenon

Grace,

Another person who is an admin is able to view that file that I shared, but when a normal member tries to view it, they get this error:

The link for the file appears in the widget, but they are not able to access it when it's clicked.

• gskamau
      Answered

Hey Xeng,

The user also needs the View and View All Directory permissions for the parent folder.

Grace

• Xenon

Thanks again. I thought selecting View All Directory would give them access to everything in the folders, but I guess not.

• Xenon

Grace,

I'm not sure what happened, but some users are not able to see a graphic I have on our home page. They get a missing graphic icon instead. 

I have the correct directory selected and permissions are set to what you suggested last time. Any ideas?

Permissions to folder that has the graphics:

Permissions to root folder:

• mtrujillo

Hey Xeng,

Did you follow all the steps in How to Upload Media Assets to Communifire video? Make sure you are using the correct file link.

• Xenon

Matt,

The image worked before, but when I copied the image URL again, it gave a different link this time. I've confirmed that it now loads correctly on the member's screen, but they still are not able to access the PDF when they click on the link. They're being asked to join the space in order to gain access to the file.

• gskamau

Hey Xeng,

Is the PDF file in a different folder? Are permissions configured correctly for that folder? Make sure the Space > View permission is still checked for the Guest role.

Grace

• Xenon

The PDF is in a different folder. The screenshots from a while ago shows permissions set for both guest and members for the lunch menu.

• gskamau

Could you provide the file link?

• Xenon

https://ascendiumthelift.com/spaces/18/media-assets/files/306/lunch-menu-oct-29-nov-2-pdf

• gskamau
      Answered

Hey Xeng,

Go to Manage Space > Permissions. Select Space from the dropdown menu. For the Guest role, check the View permission. Save permissions. Users should be able to see the PDF now.

Grace

• Xenon

Grace, 

This fixed the problem, but if the space is supposed to be private, but I have to allow guests access to it to view files, then what's the point of making the space private then? 

Should private spaces just be strictly for myself and not include any kind of file sharing to avoid giving others access to it?

• gskamau

Hey Xeng,

When the space is private, it won't appear in Browse Spaces . The space and its content also won't appear in search results for non-space members.

When you allow users to view one content type in a private space, they won't be able to view other content types in the space without permission. See Private Space for more details.

Grace

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)