Loading ...

Viewing Files in the Communifire App | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Features and Functionality » Viewing Files in the Communifire App
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Features and Functionality

Viewing Files in the Communifire App

Subscribe to RSS
  • cjohnson

In the Communifire app (iOs version), it seemed like the only file type I could open in it was a Word document that opened in my browser window. There seemed to be no way of viewing a PDF or Excel document. I attempted to open these through a wall post and the files section within a space. What am I missing?

• gskamau

Hey Charles,

PDFs should be viewable in the app. Our development team will work to fix this.

Grace

• sunny
    Answered

Hi Charles,

You should be able to open PDF, Excel and Doc files within the app. We have submitted the app for review to the store with this fix and should be available to download in next 24 hours.

Sunny

• cjohnson

I downloaded the updated app (version 1.09). Now files attempt to load, but do not seem to. Below are the images that appear in when I attempt to open files:

Results from Opening files in Communifire App

• mdrain

Agreed. I've only tried PDFs so far, but they do not open in 1.09.

• sunny

Hi Charles, Maxwell,

Please select Options from the top right corner of the page and download the file, it will open the file after the download finishes.

Sunny

• mdrain

That works for me but is not intuitive. Most users would expect to click the file title to view or select "View" from Options rather than "Download."

Clicking the PDF icon should not open a new window.

• cjohnson

This did not work for me. The file downloaded but it did not automatically open. In addition, I searched my phone to find out if it was saved somewhere else and I could not locate it. Thoughts?

• sunny

Charles, What kind of file did you try to open? Also, have you tried with any other file? maybe inside any other folder.

Maxwell, you are right, this isn't the best way to view files, we will consider your opinion. Thanks for your feedback.

Sunny

• cjohnson

I have kept trying to open files and have discovered that we are able to open a file if its title concludes with the file type (.pdf, .docx, or .xlsx). If the title does not include this suffix, then the file does not open in the app. Within the app, these files also do not appear with the file type icon. We have not run into this title issue in the web version of Communifire.

• sunny

Good catch, we will address this issue. I've created a case for this issue to fix.

• cjohnson

Thanks again, Sunny. As long as this issue is present, we're hesitant to move forward with offering the app as a solution to accessing our intranet.

• cjohnson

Any update on this file name suffix fix for the Communifire app?

• mtrujillo

Hey Charles,

It hasn't been fixed yet, we hope to have it fixed by the end of the year.

• aparna
    Answered

Hi Charles,

Please download the latest version of the Commuifire app, and you should be able to see the preview for the above mentioned files. Please let us know if you still face issues while viewing files.

Thanks,
    Aparna

• cjohnson

Great! I was able to open PDFs regardless of whether it has the .pdf was in the file name. 

Word document previews worked well. There was no preview for Excel documents, but I'm not as concerned about that since most of our people won't be accessing Excel workbooks on a mobile device.