Loading ...

People added to private space without permission | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Communifire API & Developers » People added to private space without permission
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Edit navigation item

Required The name that will appear in the space navigation.
Required
Required
Required The url can point to an internal or external web page.

Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Communifire API & Developers

People added to private space without permission

Subscribe to RSS
  • We have several private spaces that people (members) have been automatically added recently.  I am assuming since they are not members/invited to that space they would not be able to view the private space. So they would not have been able to add themselves or even request permission to be a member of that private space.  I am manually going through and calling the admins of the private space and having them delete.  Is there a setting that incorrect or a glitch?  Thank you.

• Hi Cherree,

Could you share the name of a couple of the spaces and people?

Grace

• Hi Grace

Yes this page should only have Meichiel and I as admins/members of the space:

Meichiel and Cherree Dev Page - TEST

We have been cleaning up the other private spaces.

Cherree Carrico
    Cherree Carrico
    can you remove the link when done?
    26 days ago
    Cherree Carrico
    Cherree Carrico
    Another department not adjust yet is the Corporate Legal Department private space. The only people should be Eileen Winters and Cherree Carrico.

This could be a big issue for private spaces with confidential documents and information.
    26 days ago
  • Hi Cherree,

There aren't any known issues with space membership moderation. The test space you shared is set up correctly to moderate space membership. If the users somehow navigated to the private spaces, via a direct link for example, they would see a page with a button where they can request to join the space. Is it possible that a space admin approved people's space join requests?

Note that if a user was invited to a space and then leaves the space, they can rejoin the space and are automatically approved, because of the invitation. You can delete space invitations to prevent a previously invited user from rejoining a space automatically.

Grace

Cherree Carrico
    Cherree Carrico
    Hello Grace - For the two private spaces I referred to you, there were not invites sent. We cannot figure out how these random members were added to the space. I have spoken to the the other admin of the sites and they not only did not invite any other members, are very concerned out this issue.
    Without the privacy of the private spaces, they cannot post documents or calendar items into the space if there is no guarantee for it to remain private to only invited members. There are no requests to join the space, we also checked to make sure. No memberships were accepted by the admins either.
    25 days ago
  • Hi Cherree,

Could you check with a couple of the users and ask how they navigated to the space and what happened when they tried to join the space? Did they see a message that their join request was pending? Or did they get access to the space immediately?

Grace

• Hello Grace

I have followed up with a some of the users that have been added to the private space.  They did not request to join and were not sent an invitation.  They also cannot see the space on the intranet, although it shows them as a member of the space.

• Answered

Hi Cherree,

For the Corporate Legal Department, the dates the users joined the space suggest that they were added to the space all at once. The space join dates also match the users' sign up dates, suggesting that they were added to the site via bulk import and added to the Corporate Legal Department at the same time. Do you know if this is what happened? The sign up date is February 2, 2021.

We're looking into how the users were added to the other space.

Grace

• Hello Grace  - I confirmed that there was a New Employee bulk import on the date of February 2, 2021. 

Is there something that needs to be done differently, when bulk important, so that the imported people are not added to private spaces?

The people that were added to the private spaces were not new employees -one (added to Corp Legal Dept) off the top of my head has been here for 8 years and I would need to check the date of the others.

• Hi Cherree,

The private space may have been accidentally checked when the users were bulk imported. After a bulk import, you can check the Membership Report to make sure the new users are in the correct spaces. Search for one of the users in Membership Report, then click the spaces menu. You'll see which spaces the user is in.

Thank you for the additional information about the other users.

Grace

Cherree Carrico
    Cherree Carrico
    Hi Grace - One of the private spaces had 6 people added from a bulk import on February 2. But they were not added to all of the private spaces. I have informed out IT department regarding not checking the box for private spaces on bulk imports. On the "Meichiel and Cherree Dev Page - TEST" We have 4 members that were added on 3/19, 3/21, 3/22. I checked with Meichiel to confirm they were not invited or added. I am still trying to get a handle on how this could have happened.

18 days ago
  • Hi Cherree,

Our team is looking into how the users were added to the test space. Do you recall if any major user or space updates were made around that time?

Grace

• Hi Cherree,

Was membership moderation recently turned on in the test space? If so, it's possible the users added themselves to the space when membership moderation was off.

Was there ever a user/space assignment rule for the space?

Did the test space ever have a sub space that users were added to? When a user is added to a sub space, they're automatically added to the parent space.

Grace

• Answers

Moderation was not changed for this space since it was set up -Was membership moderation recently turned on in the test space? If so, it's possible the users added themselves to the space when membership moderation was off.

This question I am not sure, we did not set any assignment rules for the space, but maybe this is what needs to happen? - Was there ever a user/space assignment rule for the space?

There is no subspace for this space  - Did the test space ever have a sub space that users were added to? When a user is added to a sub space, they're automatically added to the parent space.

• Hi Cherree,

Thanks for confirming.

User space assignment rules automatically add people to a space based on their top level role or email domain. Based on your use case, I don't believe you need a rule for the test space.

We're continuing to look into this issue.

Grace

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)