Loading ...

Groups for Messages and In Mail | Communifire Support

Home » Spaces » Communifire Support » forum » Communifire API & Developers » Groups for Messages and In Mail
Communifire Support

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Don’t have a support community login?Create your account now
Posted in: Communifire API & Developers

Groups for Messages and In Mail

Subscribe to RSS
  • tjagresti

Is there a way to create groups for chat or internal email? We'd like to set assign members to a distribution group that may have nothing to do with their user profile or space status.

A user submitted the same question back in 2014 saying:

I want the members to be able to send a group message through communifire to a certain group of people based in specific office (London, Manchester, etc). How can this be done??

I don't want them to have to type out everyone individually. On our old system we had to use a milto function and just send it via email but would rather be able to do it in this system. The users who will be doing this are just members.

Bryce Johannes Community Leader answered:
    8/22/2014 5:13 AM
    If your members post to the wall for the group in question they will all receive an email (assuming you have the space set up for such).

With Premium Support we could set up the custom ability to start a chat group based on space or user role.

I this still the current answer from Axero?  Or, is there a way to do this now?

• tim-eisenhauer

There is not an easy way to do this currently. We will be addressing this in 2019, but we do not yet have a release date. 

Could you explain with a little more detail, some of the use cases? Thanks in advance.

Tim

• tjagresti

My users need the ability to create groups for chats and the ability to send e-mail to specific user profiles.  These chat groups are emergent groups that represent members from different spaces that are not associated with a project.  So creating a sub-space for the purpose of communications doesn’t make sense.  

• tim-eisenhauer

Thomas,

To further understand the use cases for the planning of these features...

A. What data determines these groups? Location? Specific profile field(s)? Or are these groups made up from a random group of selected people?

B. You can currently create groups of people in Chat. Where else would you use these groups?

C. When you mention "send e-mail to specific user profiles" ... do you mean: send an email to a group of people? 

C. And simply out of curiosity, why doesn't a sub-space make sense to you?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

• tjagresti

A. What data determines these groups? Location? Specific profile field(s)? Or are these groups made up from a random group of selected people?

Completely random.

B. You can currently create groups of people in Chat. Where else would you use these groups?

I am not aware of a way to create a Group in chat outside of adding each name individually.  What the users are asking for is way to select users and add them to a group wit ha new group name that can be recalled as needed or amended as needed.

C. When you mention "send e-mail to specific user profiles" ... do you mean: send an email to a group of people? 

Yes, for example if I create a User Profile in a space I'd like to be able to email to that user profile group.  for example, I created a user profile for Pilots.  

C. And simply out of curiosity, why doesn't a sub-space make sense to you?

The nature of the communication's need is too fleeting in many cases.  Also, the space admins don't want ot create sub-space every time they want to work in a group context.  Think of the added steps and time involved in creating and having to manage a sub-space versus simply creating a group chat that can be recalled for another communications need later.  I get where your coming from and it's easy for someone who fully understands the logic of the system but for inexperienced users who are transitioning from email and text messaging it is too much to expect of them.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)